Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tropical Storm Cocktail



Happy Fat Tuesday everyone! Do any of you have big plans for today? Maybe you're in New Orleans doing it up proper, or heading to your local Cajun bar or restaurant for some fun and revelry? Or maybe you're cooking up a pot of gumbo and staying in tonight? If that is the case, you might want to grab a few things to make this cocktail and start the celebration off right!

I am a big fan of Cajun food, Mardi Gras, and a HUGE fan of New Orleans. I spent my birthday week there last year, and came back more than a few pounds heavier. I couldn't resist all of the rich and decadent foods you get everywhere! I did partake in a few adult beverages as well, but had to skip the classic Hurricane. It's just too sweet for my taste. So, in order to bring a little of the New Orleans flavor home with a little less sweetness, I made a few tweaks on the traditional Hurricane recipe and came up with this. Since it's not quite as heavy as a Hurricane but still packs some punch, I decided to call it a Tropical Storm. Give it a try and tell me what you think!

INGREDIENTS:

2 oz Spiced Rum
1/2 oz Blackberry Brandy
2 oz Orange Juice
1/2 cup of Fresh Pineapple Chunks (canned will work)
Juice of 1/2 a Lime
Angostura Bitters
Lime Flavored Sparkling Water


HOW TO MAKE IT:

Start with your pint glass or shaker, add pineapple and three dashes of bitters. Muddle until juices have been released from pineapple. Add lime and orange juices. Top it off with the rum and brandy, add a few cubes of ice, and stir or shake. Strain into a glass filled with fresh ice, and top off with sparkling water. Garnish with a lime wheel and pineapple chunk, throw a straw in it and enjoy!




















1 comment:

  1. Anything with Sailor Jerry Rum is a win in my book! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!