Moving is usually not much fun, and seems to always come with a unique set of challenges and problems. Case in point: we dragged our year old queen size mattress across the country, only to find the box spring would not fit up the narrow 100 year old stair case of our new house.
The day after our arrival, we hired some movers to help unload the U-haul. We knew we would be too exhausted from our cross country trek to tackle the massive load. Plus, it's nice to have someone else to do the heavy lifting. At least that's the idea. As with the packing of the truck, I was a nervous wreck. Watching a couple of college students stack boxes loaded with breakeables three high, carry them in behind their backs, search for a high surface (or stack of boxes) to back up to and unsurely set said boxes, was more than I could bear.
Once again, I busied myself. I set to unpacking the kitchen while the trio continued to bring in box after box, until I overheard a discussion over our bed. Turns out, 100 year old homes were not built to accommodate large items (namely beds) being hauled up to the top floor, as most people of that time did not own such things. What caught my attention was the suggestion that the box spring be cut in half. Absolutely not! We just bought it a year ago, and I was not about to see it it be dismembered. We told them to just leave it down stairs, and we would deal with it later.
The next day, we met my Aunt and Uncle for lunch. We told them about our little quandary, and they said that they had just seen an episode of Ask This Old House that offered a solution to just such a problem. What luck! After lunch, we went home and googled "How to get a large box spring up small stairs", and found a bevvy of terrifying videos filled with people hacking at frames with hand saws and a surprising lack of care. This time I googled "Ask This Old House cutting box spring", and found the video we were told about. Following Tom's instruction, we are able to confidently disassemble our box spring, get our bed upstairs and reassemble it without incident. Thank you Aunt Rae and Uncle Mark! Here's how we did it...
To see the video from Ask This Old House, click here.
The tear is where Keith wanted to just rip out the screen (before we watched the video). I almost killed him.
And the fun part.
Taking out a million tiny staples.
For the stubborn ones.
Prying out the support beam.
That wasn't so bad.
Cutting the side beams (and making sure the fabric is out of the way).
Not as easy as you would think.
Strapping it, so it doesn't flop open while carrying it up the stairs.
I didn't photo us using a block of wood to flatten the wire, or screwing the support back into place, but we did a pretty good job of it.
Final touches, with far fewer staples for when we have to do this in reverse.
Hopefully none of you will ever have to do this. But if you do, you now have some solid references on how to do it properly.